Thursday, June 20, 2013

HOW TO TRANSFORM A SO-SO FOOL TO A GOOD ONE

I got my fool around a month ago from Guitar Hangar. So it happens that they seem to be creating reproductions of the Todd Rundgren Fool, not the original good stuff from the Cream era. So, I decide to take the matter in my own hands and after a few online inquiries and a lot of research, I made the appropriate changes to transform a So So Fool SG into a really good looking Babe.

horrendous rectangular Harmonica bridge

Modern nickel Grover tuners


Steps 1
The Guitar Hangar Repro comes with a horrendous Harmonica Bridge ( used on the SG's from circa 1970 through 1979), this bridge distorts all the antique look of the 61 SG, and turns it into a Neo-copy of the real thing, so I had to order special insert Posts (the Harmonica has Epiphone inserts), from www.allparts.com, that could accommodate an ABR-1/Nashville similar Bridge.

Step 2
Even if the nickel tuners provided by GH might be better for actual use, Clapton's SG had bone simpler tuners, so I got myself a set of  KLUSONS vintage style,  that not only fit perfectly and gave the retro look, but covered 6 empty holes that the guy from GH left uncovered.

Step 3
I don't know what got into the Hangar guys neurons but they took some kind of tin can scrap and hand-cuted a crappy Rod Cover and removed the original black acrylic one. So I ordered a well finished solid metal (nickel finish) cover that looks great.

FINAL CUT



No comments:

Post a Comment